The design and aims of the City Suitcase Project has been informed by community soundings and consultation undertaken by Jon Oram, Artistic Director of Claque, the City of London Housing and Neighbourhood, advised and overseen by a local volunteer set-up committee.
- To encourage residents and workers of the City of London to discover the multiple connections between their past and present lives and with their neighbours.
- Deliver a range of presentations that rouse a sense of belonging, connects people to a shared heritage, and challenges their thinking and responses to contemporary issues.
- Promote Aldgate as a destination and advocate the new Aldgate Square as a public space and community hub.
- Create better visibility of the multi-various social and cultural groups and celebrate both difference and commonality.
- Support greater independence by developing community ownership, collaborative responsibility and building a skills base that allows the community a better chance to support and sustain future activities.
- Develop community partnerships supporting their working together, and encouraging better communication and joined up thinking.